Friday 2 June 2017

Moving Rock....

So, we have new animals, and these are causing a lot of amusement here, I would never have thought we could all stand and stare at a pond for so long! We were asked if we could take some turtles, and of course I said yes. Although I know nothing about turtles, Google is an amazing place, where all my knowledge is gained.

Speedy and Lightning were collected, and arrived looking shell shocked (sorry!) I decided that living in our duck pond would be perfect for them, The moment they hit the water, they were gone..... So, we spent the next 20 minutes trying to spot them as they popped up for air, bit like a game of "whack a mole" without hitting him obviously.  

I had been told that the turtles would attack the ducks, and vice versa, so we waited and watched to see if anything happened. Like the scene from Jaws when the girl is pulled under the water, I was waiting for a duck to go under from the savage beast beneath the water..... but nope all swimming, floating together, no issues at all. A few of the ducks did stare at the floating rocks, as if to say WTF are you, but no attacks, or problems. 

I was convinced that the turtles would be so happy living in the water, sunbathing on the edge, that they would not venture far away..... Yeah how wrong was I. Fast forward to yesterday morning, when I wandered through the stables, to see a moving rock, walking towards me. Now in my world nothing is strange, so it could have been a rock, but it was in fact Speedy. He had walked some distance as the pond is by the gates, and the stables down the bottom of the property. 

In turtle miles, he traveled thousands, no idea why, or how long it took him, but I scooped him up and returned him to the pond. Spent 10 minutes, watching for him to pop up for air, and then went back to actually getting things done. Therefore, if you cannot find me,  am probably up at the pond, staring into the water like a mad woman.......



No comments:

Post a Comment