Thursday 20 July 2017

Worms!

WARNING- This blog has gross photos... Sorry!

Worms are just another daily thing that we deal with here, and I don't mean the type in the ground, being caught by fisherman. I'm talking about the type of worms that appear out of the dogs, and some that I think how the hell were they all in there.


Thankfully not a lot grosses me out, and staring at dog poop is something that has become normal. You can tell so much from what comes out of the dogs, and the vets and I often have conversations about it.

People even send me photos of their new dogs poop, which is slightly strange, especially as the photo is usually perfectly timed with me eating. However, it doesnt worry me, and the hysterical messages of "my dog is INFESTED" makes me chuckle.

Trust me guys your dog is not infested, is it likely to have worms, hell yep, is it infested, nope. Infested is what we deal with, what we clean off the kennel floors. Street dogs, and dogs from the pound ALWAYS have worms, and when I say worms, I mean WORMS!



The amount that you stand and stare at and think OMG.... the amount that you can actually see falling out of the dog as it moves. These are infested dogs, we go through so many worming tablets we buy them in bulk.

We have designated "worming" days as it takes so many tablets, and hotdog sausages to worm everyone. We worm the dogs on entry, we worm them again two weeks later, and then the minute we see worms, we do it all again!

Sadly worms are hardy little creatures, and some dogs need worming, over, and over, and over, and then finally one day there are no more. Until a new dog comes in, and then the vicious circle starts all over.

Typically the only way we rid them entirely is when the dogs leave us, and go to homes. We tell every adopter, we have wormed the dog, but there is a chance they will have worms. They look horrified, how can we be saying that the dog MAY have worms. This is not right, this is not normal, this is the end of the world.

Worms are NORMAL, worms can be treated very easily, and by the time you get your new dog they are NOT infested. Send me a photo if you must, treat the dog which is so simple, and move on, there are far bigger things to be worried about than worms!








No comments:

Post a Comment