Tuesday 14 November 2017

When they Are Not Ready to be Caught

Some dogs will starve and starve before admitting that they need help, and the ones that run from you when you are trying to help, simply are not ready for help yet. Yesterday whilst driving home, fatty decided to shout "oh shit there is a really skinny German Shepherd there" this caused me to slam on the brakes, reserves back down a road, round a bend, and stop the car.

There stood a large, severely underweight dog staring at me, so, out I get, grab a lead, and a bag of treats and walk towards the dog. Silly me for thinking this was going to be easy, as I got within two steps of him, he ran off. For thirty minutes we followed, called, and waited, but he was having none of it. He would keep stopping, looking, and wondering, but he obviously felt, he didn't need our help yet.

We will go back and keep trying, as sooner or later, he will accept our help, and will decide that his stomach is in need of a good meal. Dogs always do reach that point, and I have seen it many times before.
 Merlin was one of these dogs, he ran and ran, until one day he simply laid down in my road, refusing to move. Exhaustion and hunger had won, and he wanted help. I picked him up and put him in the car, he knew he was safe, and from that day he knew he would be loved. 

Merlin went on to find an amazing home on the island, and is loved so much that he shows when they give in and ask for help, we can do just that. So, for the time being we will continue to chase the dog, until the day comes when he wants our help. I'm hoping it wont be that long, as he needs help asap. 




No comments:

Post a Comment