Saturday 22 June 2019

No Dog Gets Left Behind

This week has been beyond stressful, with so many walls being put up to stop me getting dogs off this island. We had a routine transport booked, which are stressful enough anyway. However, when airlines then begin to make things even more difficult it makes me question why I do this.

Bjorn the St Bernard was refused boarding, due to his box being too big, although we had used the same box one month earlier for Bubba. The airline claim the plane was the same size, it "simply" wouldn't fit. Apart from argue, plead, and beg there is little else I can do.

As I saw his face when he was put back in the car, to go back to kennels I cried, I cried from frustration. It is not his fault he was born on this island, not his fault he needed to be rescued. I knew I had one chance to get him off this island and that was direct, which was going to cost.

Thankfully the ladies in cargo are amazing, and paperwork was processed, and accepted in rapid speed. The funds were raised by my amazing supporters to ensure that Bjorn got his chance. However, I was still feeling defeated, as I had received the news that the airlines had changed the laws, resulting in less animals being allowed to travel on one flight.

It felt yet another wall to overcome, why does everything in rescue have to be so bloody hard. I spent the day searching for solutions, as I am a great believer in the fact that every problem, has a solution, you just need to find it, but I also know I am human, and there is only so much I can do.

So, with a lot of stress and expense, I can still transport some animals, but not as many. Which means sadly less will be saved, as the space in the kennels will be full. With this problem sorted to a point, I loaded Bjorn in cargo and kissed his nose goodbye for the second time. He had a long journey ahead of him, but it was going to be worth it.

Someone asked me mid week, why I rescue dogs, and do what I do if it causes me so much stress, and heartache. That answer is simple, I do this because I can, and these dogs have no voice, I am their chance, and I will give them that. I make a promise to these dogs that their lives will change, and that no dog gets left behind.

Bjorn is now in an amazing home, no longer chained, hungry, or alone. He is loved, cared for, and treated as he should be. You need to ask why I do this?

No comments:

Post a Comment