Sunday 3 February 2019

Five Long Years

On this day five years ago, I did one of the craziest things I have ever done in my life, and trust me I have done many crazy things. I decided in my wisdom, to move my animals, and family to a plot of land on top of a mountain that had no house, barely an buildings, but a huge amount of potential.

When I found this plot, I fell in love, it had the most amazing views, no neighbors, and space to build many areas for different animals. The fact it had no where to live did not put me off in the slightest. My husband repeated several times, there is no where to live, and I simply nodded and smiled.

This did not put me off, it would be an adventure I said, it would be fun I said! So, we moved in to an old goat shed, with one wall, no plumbing, no electrics, a leaky roof and nothing else, oh and did I mention it was raining. It was fine I had a plan, I had watched all these build it yourself programs, how hard could it be!


I had the idea that as we were living there it would get built quicker, the fact that we had zero building skills, and full time jobs didn't phase me in the slightest. I was also making sure that the animals had warm, dry housing, way before we did. So, we bought building materials as we could afford them, laid blocks in between work, and slowly made the goat shed home.

Building around jobs, animals and day to day life is stressful, hard work, and has taken so long, but I am incredibly proud of what we have achieved. Looking back I was insane, even more than usual, and five years on my goat shed still leaks, is still unfinished, and still needs a hell of a lot of work, but it is home.



No comments:

Post a Comment